Experiences with Jekyll (2016)
My first post on this blog was in December 2015 and since then, this blog is running with Jekyll. I want to take the time to summarize my experiences with Jekyll over the past year.
The first thing I did, was creating a build script which I then used within a git-hook. The build script just runs
jekyll build and then uses
#!/bin/bash jekyll build rsync --update --progress -r _site/* [email protected]:/.../html/
bodytag which keeps the loading times very low. Google Page Speed Insights rates this page currently with a score of 71/100 for mobile and 85/100 for desktop. This is obviously far away from the optimal solution and will be a topic in another post. What I can see so far, the changes to the code should be minor and can be easily integrated into the build script. The theme for this site is from the page Jekyllthemes. This page hosts a lot of open source themes for Jekyll which are ready to use. A theme consists of a bunch of files, which have to be places in the the main folder. An easy to understand tutorial can be found here. Overall my experience with Jekyll is very positive and it makes creating a website very easy. Of course one loses a lot of dynamic features, but the point that I don’t have to worry about any security issue ever, justifies this decision. Also, load times are much fast, especially on a shared server.