Improving Search Engine Optimization08 Jul 2022 by Friedrich Ewald · 3 min read
As the final step in this very small series I tried improving the SEO (search engine optimization) score for my start page. I started out with a good score of 92. As usual, my goal was 100.
As a first step I had to fix a broken link in one of my articles. One forgotten
href in a post needed to be fixed. Fixing this issue did not change the score.
The start page didn’t have an HTML meta description, so I added one. I followed the best practices outlined here.
- Use a unique description for each page
- Clear and concise descriptions
- Avoid keyword stuffing
- No complete sentences needed, can be structured data
Furthermore descriptions should be less than 160 characters to appear completely in search results.
For the home page I chose a static description whereas for each individual post I wanted to either use the first 160 characters or, if provided, use an individual meta description. I achieved this with the following code in the templates.
This change brought the score to 100 and concluded my improvements for now.